Create a column of colour (monochromatic outfit) creating one long continuous vertical line to look taller & slimmer
If you have a bot belly you can detract from the tummy area with a great pair of shoes boots that say “Look at Me”. Wearing boots or shoes the same colour as your leggings or tights, will give the illusion of lengthening your leg and balance your silhouette by creating a column of colour.
The Maxi dress and long skirt always seem to be in fashion, they can create a fabulous column of colour to elongate your silhouette and are always feminine. just don’t forget the accessories to finish the outfit.
On a plain maxi dress a long necklace is an absolute MUST, as it breaks the colour and enhances the illusion of the column.
If you wear Dresses and skirts that are knee length, finishing the dress at the knee bend (the back of your knee) are a great length, match them with leggings and a shoe that is a similar colour so that you create a column of colour on your bottom half, add some bright jewellery or a scarf close to your face.
Some ideas to help create a column of colour are:
- Match your shoes to your pants, or shoes to your legs
- If you wear a dress, then match your shoes to stockings or leggings
- If you wear jacket and pants or trousers that are the same colour, try and match your shoes, you can then add a different colour top to create interest
- Choose colours that are similar in intensity and monochromatic (or are next to each other on the colour wheel) so that hemlines are not as obvious
- Wear knee-high or tall boots when it’s warm enough for them.
- Wear one colour top to bottom (eg, black top, black pants & black shoes) and add a red jacket to finish the outfit
- Keep darker colour to the bottom piece to slim your hips and make you appear taller
Slim by design
- Vertical lines likes centre front buttons, single breasted jackets, stripes and an ironed or permanent crease in the front of your pants or trousers will visually slim your body by dividing it into vertical sections.
- The closer or narrower the vertical lines, the slimmer you will appear.
- Vertical stripes separate the body into smaller pieces, dramatically slimming the area
- Add a focal point like a bold or bright necklace high up on your body to draw attention away from any figure challenges like a pot belly to focus attention up at your face
- Don’t wear textured or shiny clothing on your largest body part, eg hips or boobs
- Don’t emphasize a problem by placing a similar shape over or near it for example placing a square neckline under a square jaw
- Wear fabrics that drape, not cling to you rolls and tyres.
Slim by Proportion
- The more foot you show the slimmer your leg will appear.
- Wearing ankle strap shoes can give the appearance of cutting off your legs.
- Nude coloured shoes can visually make your legs look longer.
- Patterns or accessories you wear need to be in proportion with your body
- The most slimming and versatile length for jackets and tops is knuckle length